Friday, December 09, 2005

"Samose me alu"

The creativity of Indian politicians/common people to coin slogans at election times never cease to impress me.These few words slogans convey the message you just can not convey even in an hour long speech.

Other day I read the slogan"Congress ka lafada hai,Natwar to Bakra hai"
Wonderful.

This is in context of Indian Foreign Minister Natwar Singh resigning in the wake of allegations of kick backs in dealings with Saddam in Oil for Food program.The opposition party is alleging the ruling pary Congress is involved.

Remember Lalu's supporters had many years ago used to shout at election meetings "Jab tak samose me alu, tab tak Bihar me Lalu"

Lalu ,his wife and their cronies have lost power in recent state assembly election.

Lalu's opponets have been now saying 'Samose mai hai abhi bhi alu ,par Bihar mai nahi hai Lalu'

It seems Indian immigrants are bringing the same election passion to New Zealand .

New Zealand recently held its parliamentary election.I was watching the results on television .
At end the party leaders were giving speeches about the verdict. Brash was entering his party office to make such speech. And suddenly there were shouts of 'Brash Zindabad'(Long live Brash)

For a moment I was taken back .I wondered whether I was in India or in New Zealand .

I watched on TV the several Indian faces at the Labour Party office at the same night .

Someone asked me why Indians are so crazy about these things.

I said in India there are many elections -parliamentary, state assembly, local bodies etc.
They enjoy the experience .It is unlike immigrants from many other Asian countries who may not have seen the ballot paper in their life time in their home country.

Long live Indian democracy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home